Tuesday, June 30, 2009

God's Forecast

Thoughts from Mark Driscoll's Series: Rebels Guide to Joy in Temptation
*
God wants more than a change; He wants my heart, my will, my mind, my strength to change. He wants all of me.
*
The Christian life is not so much what I need to stop doing, but more what I need to start doing. I need to replace an old affection with a new one, an old pattern with a Christ-focused one.
I need to embrace my new life through Jesus.
*
It is always a heart issue. God changes us from the inside out. If you are a Christian, God is at work in you, so work out your salvation with fear and trembling.


God wants to change my will. He wants to change my deepest desires and passions so they are for Jesus and not for sin. As a Christian, I should not want free will--but God's will.
*
God is a good God. He takes pleasure in doing good for His children. He delights in forgiving and changing people, giving people new life and a life we can be proud of--a life that is boastful of Jesus and not ourselves.


I need to stop grumbling and start learning. I need to stop questioning and start trusting.
*
Religion either results in pride or despair. Meaning, if you try really hard and are passionate you will be full of yourself or you've tried to do good things but can't stop doing bad things and end up being angry and bitter.
The gospel of Jesus Christ ends in humble joy. We are not saved because of what we do, but because of what He has done.

God will not forsake us, He will not give up on us.
*
God is willing to give a joyous, purposeful, meaningful life to those who are willing to obey Him.

"Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my [Paul's] presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life...."
Philippians 2:12-16 ESV

L.s.R

2 comments:

HR said...

I tried to comment earlier, but my computer was freaking out. I just wanted to say that I needed to be reminded of these things today. Let's find joy in the present moment together! Let's believe God - He's never let us down before! I love you!

L.s.R said...

You're right! He has never let us down!!! Thank you for that reminder! Love you, Sister!