Sunday, May 11, 2008

Celebrating 80 Years of Life and 60 Years of Flying

This February my family and I were able to go out to California to celebrate my Papa's 80th Birthday and anniversary of 60 years of flying.
My Papa is amazing, and is one of my heroes. In my opinion, he has done the impossible: lived through countless hardships in the Great Depression, has lead dangerous Naval missions in two separate wars, has been in love and has been married to two amazing women, has seven children that all love him very much, was a college professor in refrigeration science, still flies his own plane, still working full-time, and for his 75th birthday drove across the entire United States on his BMW motorcycle. He is the best story-teller I know, and is extremely passionate in everything he does. I thank God that he is 80 years old and is still able to do all of these things. If I could choose one thing he has taught me in my life, it is to strive to do what you love, do nothing else, and to do it with your whole heart.
We held his party where he keeps his plane. That morning he did a couple fly-bys in the plane, and made his grand entrance. He asked my dad to go up with him that morning, which I know was very special time for them both.
Papa is still the same size he was in his early twenties. In the above pic, he is wearing the same flight-suit he wore as a naval pilot.
Papa is a great speaker. He shared some stories that day, that I had never heard before. It was an emotional time for the family, and very special to hear.

Whenever the whole clan is together, you can count on having a good time.
L.s.R

No comments: